Leggings for Him, not as bad as it looks like
Nowadays the fashion industry evolves through gender thievery, for example, after women’s sexual revolution they stole the jeans from men. Then men decided they like the fit of woman’s jeans, so designers came up with skinny jeans for men. Then women decided that men’s clothing was more comfortable so designers came up with boyfriend tees and boy shorts. Now, men decided that leggings are comfortable to wear so the response from designers is the “Meggings”.
Meggings (leggings for men) are becoming a fashion trend in cities like New York. Leggings have earned a special place in women’s fashion as they are comfortable and ideal for any occasion, but now is the time for the meggings to earn that special place in men’s wardrobe.
Are meggings ready to be worn by all males? I think the answer is not yet, the sight of man in tights in modern times conjures up thoughts of homosexuality and men who don’t have strong confidence shouldn’t wear them until that stigma is gone, but let’s go back to history, men in tights is not something new.
Until the middle ages men and women usually wore similar tailored clothing and leggings were common among men. Perhaps a good example of man in tights is the portrait of Henry VIII, which in this case we have a man who had six wives, founded a church and still pull off a pair of tights and a skirt.
There was a long period from the 16th century to the 20th century where tights were common as men’s outwear as well as underwear, but at the end of this period, the knitting machine was invented and tights slowly moved from the legs of men to those of women. In more modern days, tights came back, but they were worn only by super heroes like Superman, Batman and Spiderman, so I guess that means powerful men wear tights.
So I bought a pair of tights to give it a try and this is my conclusion:
- At first they seem small, especially around the waist but the fabric is soft.
- My legs feel warmer, they are surprisingly insulating, which is good during winter. Wearing regular trousers allow the air to flow as the end of the trousers is wide open, with the meggins there’s not air flowing.
- It is easier to cross your legs than in jeans.
- I can walk in the streets of New York without drawing a second glance but I wouldn’t feel comfortable grocery shopping in the suburb where I live, well, at least not for now.
- They make you look a little fat even if you are not, so if you are not fit, don’t even try it.
- Famous people wear tights, but, if you are not famous you have to be very confident and live in an urban area to wear them.